What is the flu?
Influenza is a virus that causes fevers, chills, body aches and a cough. It can be difficult to distinguish from other viruses like the common cold. However, flu symptoms are typically more severe and come on suddenly.
Flu Season Tips:
- Wash your hands frequently.
- Get your flu shot each season.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- When your family is sick, change to disposable items like plastic cups and paper towels in the bathroom in place of towels to help prevent the spread.
- Certain antiviral medications can help for those at highest risk from the flu if taken within the first 48 hours. Contact your physician early if you think you may have the flu.